Thursday, March 18, 2010
So, sometimes there is not a string sound that works… In that event you simply keep tinkering and layering until Ronni finds the right combination of 3 different string sounds! That, in a nutshell, is the summary of tonight’s session. When all was said and done, the string parts are now tracked for “Sunrise” and they complement the arrangement very nicely.
Wednesday, March 31, 2010
More fun with electronic noises, this time for “Dementia.” Take some vintage string machine style parts, mix in some atmospheric single note piano for a haunting quality, and then for good measure dance your finger all over the Korg Kaossilator and you’ve got yourself some cool keyboard tracks for a Cure-inspired tune!
Wednesday, April 14, 2010
Ronni and I tracked almost all of the guitars for “Alone Together” using the Dave Barber lending library of amps, guitars and pedals. The tune is sounding great in a Weezer-esque way. There are still some flourishes to add such as electric 12-string and Moog synth, but I am very happy with the overall arrangement so far. This could even be lead single material!
Wednesday, April 21, 2010
Craig Warner joined the guitar crew and laid down the bulk of the tracks for “Inside Out.” We were tweaking the parts as we went to fit the drums and bass even better, and along the way I had an idea for a great melodic part at the chorus so I laid it down. It’s nice to have other guitarists track things to remind me just how bad I am! Completing The Circle Of Dave Barber, Craig tracked several parts with a Les Paul that was formerly owned by… you guessed it! Oh, and now Ronni has someone else to talk about the minutiae of guitar tone with!
Wednesday, April 28, 2010
A short visit to Big Bang to cut some keyboards, patch one guitar part, and do some file backups. We broke out the vintage Moog Prodigy for some melodic additions to “Alone Together.” To say that it is finicky at this stage of it’s existence would be an understatement. All knobs are functional. Both oscillators are functional. It’s the Glide function that’s a little dodgy. What should be an octave sometimes becomes a minor third and vice versa. Oh well, the cool old sound was completely worth the added takes required to get it to cooperate. Later, though I don’t remember why, I ended up recutting some power chords on the choruses of “Inside Out,” which went smoothly considering my lack of guitar prowess.
Tuesday, May 4, 2010
Craig was back in the house again to cut the guitar tracks for “Everything.” We thought it would go fast because of our familiarity with the song. What we did not factor in was the bass track being out of tune on anything I played on the A string (unnoticeable until other instruments joined it) and the precise nature of less being more. We adjusted some strum patterns and other supporting parts as we went and came out with a great result. Now we just have to autotune or recut the bass to match. Grrrr…